[TripleO] Opting out of global-requirements.txt

Javier Pena jpena at redhat.com
Fri May 14 15:33:25 UTC 2021

> On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 6:41 AM Marios Andreou < marios at redhat.com > wrote:

> > On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:41 PM James Slagle < james.slagle at gmail.com >
> > wrote:
>

> > > I'd like to propose that TripleO opt out of dependency management by
> > > removing tripleo-common from global-requirements.txt. I do not feel that
> > > the global dependency management brings any advantages or anything needed
> > > for TripleO. I can't think of any reason to enforce the ability to be
> > > globally pip installable with the rest of OpenStack.
>

> > To add a bit more context as to how this discussion came about, we
>
> > tried to remove tripleo-common from global-requirements and the
>
> > check-requirements jobs in tripleoclient caused [1] as a result.
>

> > So we need to decide whether to continue to be part of that
>
> > requirements contract [2] or if we will do what is proposed here and
>
> > remove ourselves altogether.
>
> > If we decide _not_ to implement this proposal then we will also have
>
> > to add the requirements-check jobs in tripleo-ansible [3] and
>
> > tripleo-validations [4] as they are currently missing.
>

> > > Two of our most critical projects, tripleoclient and tripleo-common do
> > > not
> > > even put many of their data files in the right place where our code
> > > expects them when they are pip installed. So, I feel fairly confident
> > > that
> > > no one is pip installing TripleO and relying on global requirements
> > > enforcement.
>

> > I don't think this is _just_ about pip installs. It is generally about
>
> > the contents of each project requirements.txt. As part of the
>
> > requirements contract, it means that those repos with which we are
>
> > participating (the ones in projects.txt [5]) are protected against
>
> > other projects making any breaking changes in _their_
>
> > requirements.txt. Don't the contents of requirements.txt also end up
>
> > in the .spec file from which we are building rpm e.g. [6] for tht? In
>
> > which case if we remove this and just stop catching any breaking
>
> > changes in the check/gate check-requirements jobs, I suspect we will
>
> > just move the problem to the rpm build and it will fail there.
>

> I don't see that in the spec file. Unless there is some other automation
> somewhere that regenerates all of the BuildRequires/Requires and modifies
> them to match requirements.txt/test-requirements.txt?

We run periodic syncs once every cycle, and try our best to make spec requirements match requirements.txt/test-requirements.txt for the project. See https://review.rdoproject.org/r/c/openstack/tripleoclient-distgit/+/33367 for a recent example on tripleoclient.

I don't have a special opinion on keeping tripleo-common inside global-requirements.txt or not. However, all TripleO projects still need to be co-installable with other OpenStack projects, otherwise we will not be able to build packages for them due to all the dependency issues that could arise. I'm not sure if that was implied in the original post.

Regards,
Javier