[docs] Double headings on every page

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Fri May 14 11:33:52 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-05-11 at 11:14 -0400, Peter Matulis wrote:
> Hi, I'm hitting an oddity in one of my projects where the titles of all pages
> show up twice.
>
> Example:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/wallaby/app-nova-cells.html
>
> Source file is here:
>
> https://opendev.org/openstack/charm-deployment-guide/src/branch/master/deploy-guide/source/app-nova-cells.rst
>
> Does anyone see what can be causing this? It appears to happen only for the
> current stable release ('wallaby') and 'latest'.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I suspect you're bumping into issues introduced by a new version of Sphinx or
docutils (new versions of both were released recently).

Comparing the current nova docs [1] to what you have, I see the duplicate <h1>
element is present but hidden by the following CSS rule:

   .docs-body .section h1 {
       display: none;
   }

That works because we have the following HTML in the nova docs:

       <h1>Extra Specs<a class="headerlink" href="#extra-specs" title="Permalink to this headline">¶</a></h1>

while the docs you linked are using the HTML5 semantic '<section>' tag:

   <section id="nova-cells">
       <h1>Nova Cells<a class="headerlink" href="#nova-cells" title="Permalink to this headline">¶</a></h1>
   </section>

So to fix this, we'll have to update the openstackdocstheme to handle these
changes. I can try to take a look at this next week but I really wouldn't mind
if someone beat me to it.

Stephen

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/extra-specs.html