[oslo] [tooz] Why does not tooz's tox env use upper-constraints?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri May 7 21:51:37 UTC 2021

On 5/7/21 10:53 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
>> The question is the subject.
>> Why does not tooz's tox env use upper-constraints?
>>
>> I asked this on IRC once some time ago but did not receive an answer
>> so trying out ML as a more reliable medium.
>
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tooz/+/413365 is the change that added the comment about the exclusion to tox.ini. Reading the comments there it seems one reason people were skipping upper-constraints was to find problems with dependencies early (rather than avoiding them with constraints and updating when everyone was happy to work with it).
>
> Not sure if Tony is still following this list but may have more info too.
>

>> -yoctozepto

Hi,

Another more social reason, is that the people behind Tooz (that are now
not involved in the project) loved to do things their own way, and loved
experimentation, even if this meant not always being fully aligned with
the best practices of the rest of the OpenStack project. I'm sure
old-timers will know what I'm talking about! :)

Anyways, it's probably time to realign...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: This post is in no way a critic of the involved people or what they
did (I actually enjoyed a lot interacting with them), I'm just exposing
a fact...