Rocky Linux for Openstack

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso amoralej at redhat.com
Thu May 6 07:25:00 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 3:42 PM Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:42 AM Tim Bell <tim.bell at cern.ch> wrote:
>

>> On 3 May 2021, at 23:07, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Rocky Linux claims to be 100% compatible with Red Hat's OS family [1], so
>> I don't see any reason why you couldn't use RPMs from RDO:
>>
>> https://docs.openstack.org/install-guide/environment-packages-rdo.html#enable-the-openstack-repository
>>
>> [1] Source: https://rockylinux.org
>>

>> I wonder if there would be some compatibility problems with using RDO on
>> a RHEL compatible OS. If RDO is built against CentOS Stream [1], could it
>> potentially have some dependencies on python packages which are due to be
>> released in the next RHEL minor update (since Stream is on the latest
>> version) ?
>>

> Yes, that may happen and it's happening. i.e. we've had that situation
with python-rtslib has been updated in CentOS Stream 8 to the minimal
version required by cinder [1] but not yet in CentOS Linux 8. That means
that, current cinder in master is installable in CentOS Stream 8 but will
need to wait for CentOS Linux 8.4. Similar will happen with CentOS Stream
vs Rocky Linux.

RDO Victoria, Ussuri and Train currently support both CentOS Linux 8 and
CentOS Stream 8, so those should run fine on Rocky Linux.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/requirements.txt#L49

Generally RDO isn't specifying a version when building packages so it's
> likely to be compatible.  CentOS Stream will just have things that'll show
> up in the next version of Rocky Linux. For stable releases it's likely to
> just be compatible, whereas master might run into issues if new base os
> dependencies get added.

Tim