[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Mar 19 20:05:53 UTC 2021

 ---- On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:49:53 -0600 Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com> wrote ----
 >  ---- On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 16:45:19 -0600 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
 >  > On 2021-01-20 07:26:05 +0000 (+0000), Lucian Petrut wrote:
 >  > > For Windows related projects such as os-win and networking-hyperv,
 >  > > we decided to keep the lower constraints job but remove indirect
 >  > > dependencies from the lower-constraints.txt file.
 >  > >
 >  > > This made it much easier to maintain and it allows us to at least cover
 >  > > direct dependencies. I suggest considering this approach instead of
 >  > > completely dropping the lower constraints job, whenever possible.
 >  > > Another option might be to make it non-voting while it’s getting fixed.
 >  > [...]
 >  >
 >  > The fewer dependencies a project has, the easier this becomes. I'm
 >  > not against projects continuing to do it if they can get it to work,
 >  > but wouldn't want us to pressure folks to spend undue effort on it
 >  > when they already have a lot more on their plates. I can understand
 >  > where for projects with a very large set of direct dependencies this
 >  > still has the problem that your stated minimums may conflict with
 >  > (semi-circular) dependencies declared elsewhere in the transitive
 >  > dependency set outside your lower-constraints.txt/requirements.txt
 >  > file.
 >
 > I tried with the direct deps with cinder, nova and placement by keeping only
 > deps what we have in requirements.txt, test-requirements.txt, and  'extras' in setup.cfg.
 > We need to get all those three to pass the requirement-check job as it checks for
 > all those deps to be in lower-constraints.txt
 >
 > - https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22l-c-direct-deps-only%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)
 >
 > Some nova test failing which might need some deps version bump but overall It seems direct deps work
 > fine and removes a lot of deps from l-c file (77 from nova, 64 from cinder). With that testing, I am ok
 > with that proposal now (as in my experience on community goals effort, I spent 50% of the time on
 > fixing the indirect deps ).
 >
 > I am summarizing the discussion and earlier proposal below, please let us know if that works fine for everyone
 > and accordingly, we can take the next step to document this somewhere and project start working on this.
 >
 > - Only keep direct deps in lower-constraints.txt
 > - Remove the lower constraints testing from all stable branches.

TC continued the discussion on the previous week[1] and this week's meeting[2]. With all the current resources
and compute bandwidth and effort of maintaining this, it is fine to drop if the project wants.

In the Project team guide, lower bound testing is already mentioned as an optional thing to test[3]. We can clarify it more
and in the testing section too, I am doing that in
- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-team-guide/+/781900

As summary:
This is up to the project to maintain and test the lower bounds if they want to drop it then also it is entirely
fine.

Feel free to reach out to TC on #openstack-tc for further query/clarification.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-03-11-15.00.log.html#l-126
[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-03-18-15.01.log.html#l-146
[3] 3rd paragraph in https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/dependency-management.html#solution

-gmann