[Neutron] [Designate] Private / Internal DNS Zones with custom records for i.e. service discovery

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 18:08:32 UTC 2021

Currently Designate does not support DNS views (split-horizon), so
there is no way to tag records as internal vs. external. This is a
widely requested enhancement.

As Jeremy mentioned, there is a specification and proposed code for a
version of split-horizon, though I'm not sure it meets your use case
(This is a current stream of discussion on the patch). The current
proposed patch requires the operator to define the internal and
external IP address ranges. These are not user configurable.

I think there is more design discussion needed on this topic and I
plan to include it in our PTG agenda.

For now, please feel free to review and comment on the existing patch.

As an interim solution, you could create zones for the various
purposes and manage them directly in Designate, it just wouldn't
provide much automation.

Michael