Cleanup database(s)

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 13:43:41 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-03-09 at 09:20 +0000, Eugen Block wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I just wanted to get some clarification on how to proceed.
>
> > what you proably need to do in this case is check if the RPs still
> > have allocations and if so
> > verify that the allocation are owned by vms that nolonger exist.
> > if that is the case you should be able to delete teh allcaotion and
> > then the RP
> > if the allocations are related to active vms that are now on the
> > rebuild nodes then you will have to try and
> > heal the allcoations.
>
> I checked all allocations for the old compute nodes, those are all
> existing VMs. So simply deleting the allocations won't do any good, I
> guess. From [1] I understand that I should overwrite all allocations
> (we're on Train so there's no "unset" available yet) for those VMs to
> point to the new compute nodes (resource_providers). After that I
> should delete the resource providers, correct?
> I ran "heal_allocations" for one uncritical instance, but it didn't
> have any visible effect, the allocations still show one of the old
> compute nodes.
> What I haven't tried yet is to delete allocations for an instance and
> then try to heal it as the docs also mention.
>
> Do I understand that correctly or am I still missing something?

i think the problem is you reinstalled the cloud with exisitng instances and change the hostnames of the
compute nodes which is not a supported operations.(specifically changing the hostname of a computenode with vms is not supported)
so in doing so that would cause all the compute service to be recreated for the new compute nodes and create new RPs in placment.
the existing instnace however would still have there allocation on the old RPs and the old hostnames woudl be set in the instnace.host
can you confirm that?

in this case you dont actully have orphaned allocation exactly you have allcoation against the incorrect RP but if the instnace.host does not
match the hypervisor hostname that its on then heal allocations will not be able to fix that.

just looking at your orginal message you said "last year we migrated our OpenStack to a highly available environment through a reinstall of all nodes"

i had assumed you have no instnace form the orignial enviornment with the old names if you had exising instnaces with the old name then you would
have had to ensure the host names did not change to  do that correctly without breaking the resouce tracking in nova.

can you clarify those point. e.g. were all the workload removed before the reinstall? if not did the host name change?
that is harder probelm to fix unless you can restore the old host name but i suspect you likely have booted new vms if this even has been runing
for a year.