Cleanup database(s)

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Mon Mar 8 13:18:56 UTC 2021

Hi *,

I have a quick question, last year we migrated our OpenStack to a
highly available environment through a reinstall of all nodes. The
migration went quite well, we're working happily in the new cloud but
the databases still contain deprecated data. For example, the
nova-scheduler logs lines like these on a regular basis:

/var/log/nova/nova-scheduler.log:2021-02-19 12:02:46.439 23540 WARNING
nova.scheduler.host_manager [...] No compute service record found for
host compute1

This is one of the old compute nodes that has been reinstalled and is
now compute01. I tried to find the right spot to delete some lines in
the DB but there are a couple of places so I wanted to check and ask
you for some insights.

The scheduler messages seem to originate in

/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/nova/scheduler/host_manager.py

---snip---
         for cell_uuid, computes in compute_nodes.items():
             for compute in computes:
                 service = services.get(compute.host)

                 if not service:
                     LOG.warning(
                         "No compute service record found for host %(host)s",
                         {'host': compute.host})
                     continue
---snip---

So I figured it could be this table in the nova DB:

---snip---
MariaDB [nova]> select host,deleted from compute_nodes;
+-----------+---------+
| host      | deleted |
+-----------+---------+
| compute01 |       0 |
| compute02 |       0 |
| compute03 |       0 |
| compute04 |       0 |
| compute05 |       0 |
| compute1  |       0 |
| compute2  |       0 |
| compute3  |       0 |
| compute4  |       0 |
---snip---

What would be the best approach here to clean up a little? I believe
it would be safe to simply purge those lines containing the old
compute node, but there might be a smoother way. Or maybe there are
more places to purge old data from?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
Eugen