[TripleO][Validation] Validation CLI simplification

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 16:16:08 UTC 2021

Hello there,

On 3/3/21 2:13 PM, Mathieu Bultel wrote:
> Thank you Marios for the response.
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM Marios Andreou <marios at redhat.com
> <mailto:marios at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 12:51 PM Mathieu Bultel <mbultel at redhat.com
>     <mailto:mbultel at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi TripleO Folks,
>
>         I'm raising this topic to the ML because it appears we have some
>         divergence regarding some design around the way the Validations
>         should be used with and without TripleO and I wanted to have a
>         larger audience, in particular PTL and core thoughts around this
>         topic.
>
>         The current situation is:
>         We have an openstack tripleo validator set of sub commands to
>         handle Validation (run, list ...).
>         The CLI validation is taking several parameters as an entry
>         point and in particular the stack/plan, Openstack authentication
>         and static inventory file.
>
>         By asking the stack/plan name, the CLI is trying to verify and
>         understand if the plan or the stack is valid, if the Overcloud
>         exists somewhere in the cloud before passing that to the
>         tripleo-ansible-inventory script and trying to generate a static
>         inventory file in regard to what --plan or stack has been passed.
>

>     Sorry if silly question but, can't we just make 'validate the stack
>     status' as one of the validations? In fact you already have
>     something like that
>     there https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-validations/blob/1a9f1758d160cc2e543a1cf7cd4507dd3355945a/roles/stack_health/tasks/main.yml#L2
>     <https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-validations/blob/1a9f1758d160cc2e543a1cf7cd4507dd3355945a/roles/stack_health/tasks/main.yml#L2>
>     . Then only this validation will require the stack name passed in
>     instead of on every validation run.
>
>     BTW as an aside we should probably remove 'plan' from that code
>     altogether given the recent 'remove swift and overcloud plan' work
>     from ramishra/cloudnull and
>     co @ https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22env_merging%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)
>     <https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:%22env_merging%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)>
>
> Not exactly, the main goal of checking if the --stack/plan value is
> correct and if the stack provided exists and is right is for getting a
> valid Ansible inventory to execute the Validations.
> Meaning that all the extra checks in the code in [1] is made for
> generating the inventory, which imho should not belong to the Validation
> CLI but to something else, and Validation should consider that the
> --inventory file is correct (because of the reasons mentioned earlier).

well... It actually isn't part of the validation CLI, it's part of the
plugin for tripleoclient wrapping the actual validation library...

Sooo... That's a usage we'd intend to get, isn't it? All the "bad
things" are on the tripleo side, NOT the VF cli/code/lib/content.

Cheers,

C.

--
Cédric Jeanneret (He/Him/His)
Sr. Software Engineer - OpenStack Platform