[kolla-ansible] [swift] access denied to various APIs

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 06:29:39 UTC 2021

I set up a cloud with the Victoria version of Kolla-Ansible. I enabled
Swift and configured Swift as backend for Glance and Cinder-Backup. The
Glance backend works, the Cinder-Backup backend doesn't. Furthermore, as
a non-admin user I can't do anything with Swift. These two
headscratchers that may or may not be related. I seek for help how to
troubleshoot this.

*Headscratcher 1*: Swift doesn't accept unauthenticated /info API,
although expose_info is explicitly set to "true". This is why
Cinder-Backup fails; it performs this API when starting up:

curl http://192.168.122.253:8080/info
{"error": {"code": 401, "title": "Unauthorized", "message": "The request
you have made requires authentication."}}

When I add a valid token, this works.

*Headscratcher 2*: Swift refuses access except for the admin role. I get
this when I don't have the admin role:

$ source demorc.sh
$ swift stat
Account HEAD failed:
http://192.168.122.253:8080/v1/AUTH_06d5618863294187bf46c611c0ebb4a7 403
Forbidden
Failed Transaction ID: tx7e8d958e3c7b410880000-0060d81a25

To add insult to injury, I don't see relevant messages in the
centralized Elasticsearch log, and logging does not go to any log files.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bernd