[cinder] status of some unapproved Xena specs

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 03:29:55 UTC 2021

As attentive members of the OpenStack community know, Friday 25 June is
the Xena spec freeze for cinder [0].

There are four specs that have been discussed on and off at PTGs and
midcycle meetings that don't appear ready for approval in Xena.  The
discussion of these specs at today's cinder meeting is here:
https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/cinder/2021/cinder.2021-06-23-14.00.log.html#l-183

The specs I'm talking about are these:

1. Support revert any snapshot
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder-specs/+/736111
discussion:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderXenaMidCycleSummary#Support_revert_any_snapshot_to_the_volume

2. Migration support for a volume with replication status enabled
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder-specs/+/766130
discussion:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderXenaMidCycleSummary#Migration_support_for_a_volume_with_replication_status_enabled

3. Update original volume az
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder-specs/+/778437
discussion:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderXenaMidCycleSummary#Migration_support_for_a_volume_with_replication_status_enabled

4. Allow volumes to be part of multiple volume groups
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder-specs/+/792722
I think this spec isn't getting much attention because it has a -1 from
Zuul, and the last few sections still contain the boilerplate language
from the spec template, which makes it look like the spec is still in
progress.

When these have come up for discussion at previous meetings, there is
general support among the cinder team, though there are details that we
feel need to be worked out on the specs.  These details have been noted
on the Gerrit reviews and in the previous PTG and midcycle discussion
summaries.  While some points have been addressed, other important
points have not.

This makes me think that there is a communication problem between the
team and the spec proposers.  I encourage people proposing specs that
are having problems in review to put their spec on the weekly cinder
meeting agenda [1] so that we can discuss them interactively and
hopefully explain more clearly what issues the cinder team has with the
specs as currently proposed.

If attending the weekly cinder meeting (1400 UTC on Wednesdays) is
difficult because of time zone issues, please let me know and we can
figure something out (maybe an occasional spec review meeting held at
some time other than 1400 UTC).  Or maybe there's an alternative
communication medium we haven't explored yet.  The cinder team
encourages community participation in cinder development, and it
distresses us to see these specs languishing.

cheers,
brian

[0] https://releases.openstack.org/xena/schedule.html#x-cinder-spec-freeze
[1] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/cinder-xena-meetings