[nova] SCS standardized flavor naming

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at ya.ru
Wed Jun 23 11:31:14 UTC 2021

Hi!

> The point is, a new customer will *not* spend time reading the spec.
> Typically, they will want to just fire-up a VM quickly without reading
> too much docs...

While I find Thomases flavor naming also not really intuitive for customers - out of nvt4-a8-ram24-disk50-perf2 I could guess only disk size and amout of ram (is it in gygabytes?) but "SCS-16T:64:200s-GNa:64-ib" doesn't make any sense to me at all (if I haven't read [1] ofc).

I totally agree that no user in Public cloud would read any spec before launching their VM and it would be super hard to force them to do so.

So flavor naming should be as explicit and readable as possible and assuming that person who will use cloud has no idea about specs we're making. These specs should be designed for cloud providers to comply and have same standards so users feel comfortable and secure, but don't assume regular users to have special skills in reading what engineers come up to. If regular users would find this hard to use, companies might choose hapiness of customers over some compliance.

As nova doesn't have any text description for flavors, so flavor name is everything we have to expose to the customers and it should be clean and readable from the first sight.

> nvt4-a8-ram24-disk50-perf2
>
> This means:
> - nvt4: nvidia T4 GPU
> - a8: AMD VCPU 8 (we also have i4 for example, for Intel)
> - ram24: 24 GB of RAM
> - disk50: 50 GB of local system disk
> - perf2: level 2 of IOps / IO bandwidth

So what I'd suggest to cover that usecase would be smth like:
8vCPU-24576RAM-50SSD-pGPU:T4-10kIOPS-EPYC4

> SCS-8C:32:2x200S-bms-i2-GNa:64-ib
> [4] In case you wonder: 8 dedicated cores, 32GiB RAM, 2x200GB SSD disks
>     on bare metal sys, intel Cascade Lake, nVidia GPU with 64 Ampere SMs
>     and InfiniBand.

Would be probably smth like:
8pCPU-32768RAM-2x200SSD-2vGPU:A100-IB-Cascade

[1] https://github.com/SovereignCloudStack/Operational-Docs/blob/main/flavor-naming-draft.MD

--
Kind Regards,
Dmitriy Rabotyagov