[neutron] OVS tunnels and VLAN provider networks on the same interface

Krzysztof Klimonda kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com
Wed Jun 23 08:10:08 UTC 2021

Hi All,

What is the best practice for sharing same interface between OVS tunnels and VLAN-based provider networks? For provider networks to work, I must "bind" entire interface to vswitchd, so that it can handle vlan bits, but this leaves me with a question of how to plug ovs tunnel interface (and os internal used for control<->compute communication, if shared). I have two ideas:

1) I can bind entire interface to ovs-vswitchd (in ip link output it's marked with "master ovs-system") and create vlan interfaces on top of that interface *in the system*. This seems to be working correctly in my lab tests.

2) I can create internal ports in vswitchd and plug them into ovs bridge - this will make the interface show up in the system, and I can configure it afterwards. In this setup I'm concerned with how packets from VMs to other computes will flow through the system - will they leave openvswitch to host system just to go back again to be sent through a tunnel?

I've tried looking for some documentation regarding that, but came up empty - are there some links I could look at to get a better understanding of packet flow and best practices?

Best Regards,

--
  Krzysztof Klimonda
  kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com