[Kolla][nova] /var/lib/nova/instances on nfs

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 11:43:14 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-06-22 at 13:02 +0200, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> Hello Ignazio,
>
> If you are not using Cinder NFS backend already, you need to set:
>
>   enable_shared_var_lib_nova_mnt: yes
>
> And yes, you need to manage fstab yourself, mounting the shared nfs
> at
> /var/lib/nova/mnt
>
> It must happen before the containers are started (so before deploy or
> redeploy).
i dont think they were refering to cinder nfs.
we have support for deploying novas state directory and libvirts
stroage on nfs in nvoa when usign the raw/qcow image backend.

in general i advise against that but it is supported.
you should ensure that you use nfs v4 preferable nfs v4.2 or newer

with my downstream hat on we droped supprot for nfs v3 many years ago
and the last lts release we hadd that supported it was based on newton.
technially we dont have a min nfs version requirement ustream but at
some point i think we shoudl enforce at least nfs v4 upstream too.
there are several known locking issues with nfs v3 that make it
generally problematic to use at scale with nova that manifest
intermietnly during move operations.

the same may or may not be true with nfs via cinder but that is one of
the less well tested and hardened cinder backends to use with nova.