Wallaby install via kayobe onto ubuntu 20 all in one host

Tony Pearce tonyppe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 05:50:46 UTC 2021

Hi Mark,

I had never used the "pip install ." method. Maybe a miscomprehension on my
side, from the documentation [1] there are three ways to install kayobe. I
had opted for the first way which is "pip install kayobe" since January
2020. The understanding was as conveyed in the doc "Installing from PyPI
ensures the use of well used and tested software".

I have since followed your steps in your mail which is the installation
from source. I had new problems:

*During ansible bootstrap:*
During ansible host bootstrap it errors out and says the kolla_ansible is
not found and needs to be installed in the same virtual environment. In all
previous times, I had understood that kolla ansible is installed by kayobe
at this point. I eventually done "pip install kolla-ansible" and it seemed
to take care of that and allowed me to move on to "host configure"

*During host configure:*
I was able to get past the previous python issue but then it failed on the
network due to a "duplicate bond name", though this config was deployed
successfully in Train. I dont think I really need a bond at this point so I
deleted the bond and the host configure is now successful. (fyi this is an
all-in-one host.)

*During kayobe service deploy:*
This then fails with "no module named docker" on the host. To troubleshoot
this I logged into the host and activated the kayobe virtual env
(/opt/kayobe/venvs/kayobe/bin/activate) and then "pip install docker". It
was already installed. Eventually, I issued "pip install --ignore-installed
docker" within these three (environment) locations which resolved this and
allowed the kayobe command to complete successfully and progress further:
- /opt/kayobe/venvs/kayobe/
- /opt/kayobe/venvs/kolla-ansible/
- native on the host after deactivating the venv.

Now the blocker is the following failure;

TASK [nova-cell : Waiting for nova-compute services to register themselves]
FAILED - RETRYING: Waiting for nova-compute services to register themselves
(20 retries left).
FAILED - RETRYING: Waiting for nova-compute services to register themselves
(19 retries left).

I haven't seen this one before but previously I had seen something similar
with mariadb because the API dns was not available. What I have been using
here is a /etc/hosts entry for this. I checked that this entry is available
on the host and in the nova containers. I decided to reboot the host anyway
(previously resolved similar mariadb issue) to restart the containers just
in case the dns was not available in one of them and I missed it.

Unfortunately I now have two additional issues which are hard blockers:
1. The network is no longer working on the host after reboot, so I am
unable to ssh
2. The user password has been changed by kayobe, so I am unable to login
using the console

Due to the above, I am unable to login to the host to investigate or
remediate. Previously when this happened with centos I could use the root
user to log in. This time around as it's ubuntu I do not have a root user.
The user I am using for both "kolla_ansible_user" and "kayobe_ansible_user"
is the same - is this causing a problem with Victoria and Wallaby? I had
this user password change issue beginning with Victoria.

So at this point I need to re-install the host and go back to the host
configure before service deploy.

*Summary*
Any guidance is well appreciated as I'm at a loss at this point. Last week
I had a working Openstack Train deployment in a single host. "Kayobe"
stopped working (maybe because I had previously always used pip install
kayobe).

I would like to deploy Wallaby, should I be able to successfully do this
today or should I be using Victoria at the moment (or even, Train)?

[1] OpenStack Docs: Installation
<https://docs.openstack.org/kayobe/wallaby/installation.html>

Regards,

Tony Pearce