[tripleo] Changing TripleO's release model

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Thu Jun 10 09:16:28 UTC 2021

On 6/9/21 3:57 PM, Sean Mooney wrote:
> [...]
>>> commits to
>>> ooo im not sure that changing the upstream lifestyle to align more closely
>>> with our product life
>>> cycle is the correct thing to do.
>>>
>>> at least while tripleo is still in the Openstack namespaces and not the x
>>> namespaces.
>>> Skipping upstream release is really quite a radical departure form the
>>> project original goals.
>>> i think it would also be counter productive to our downstream efforts to
>>> move our testing close to upstream.
>>> if ooo was to lose the ablity to test master for example we would not be
>>> able to use ooo in our downstream ci to test
>>> feature that we plan to release osp n+1 that are develop during an
>>> upstream cycle that wont be productised.
>>>
>>> i do not work on ooo so at the end of the day this wont affect me much but
>>> to me skipping releases seam counter intuitive
>>> given the previous efforts to make ooo more usable for development and ci.
>>> Moving to independent
>>> to decouple the lifecycle seams more reasonable if the underlying goal is
>>> not to skip releases. you can release when ready
>>> rather then scrambling or wating for a deadline. personally i think moving
>>> in the other direction so that ooo can release sooner
>>> not later would make the project more appealing as the delay in support of
>>> a release is often considered a detractor for tripleo vs
>>> other openstack installers.
>>>
>>> i would hope that this change would not have any effect on the rdo
>>> packaging of non ooo packages.
>>> the rdo packages are used by other instalation methods (the puppet moduels
>>> for example) including i belive some of the larger chineese providers that
>>> have written there own installers. i think it would be damaging to centos
>>> if rdo was to skip upstream version of say nova. what might need to change
>>> is the packaging of ooo itself in rdo.
>>>
>>> tl;dr im not against the idea of ooo moving to independent model but i
>>> would hope that it will not affect RDO's packaging of non ooo projects and
>>> that
>>> ooo can still be used for ci of master and stable branches of for example
>>> nova.
>>>

>> RDO has no plans on skipping releases or any other changes affecting
>> non-tripleo packages. The impact of this change (unclear at this point)
>> should only affect the packages for those repos.
> ack
>>
>> Note that RDO aims at being used and useful for other users and deployment
>> tools as Puppet modules, Kolla, or others willing to work in CentOS and
>> we'd like to maintain the collaboration with them as needed.
> ya that is what i was expecting. thanks for confirming.
> provided the possible change in ooo direction does not negatively impact the other
> consumes of rdo i dont really have an objection to ooo changing how they work if peolel think it will
> make there lives and there customer live simpler in the long run.

I'm sceptical about if that makes lives simpler.  As we learned earlier
in the topic, "stable" tags would still require maintenance branches to
be managed manually (with only a 3rd side CI available for that?). And
manual solving of drifting dependencies collisions (since no more
appropriate requirements-checks automation for independently released
tripleo?). Finally, openstack puppet modules and puppet-tripleo look too
much specific to OpenStack configuration options, that may drift a lot
from release to a release, to be independently released.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,