3rd party CI failures with devstack 'master' using devstack-gate

Luigi Toscano ltoscano at redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 10:00:57 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 8 June 2021 11:50:32 CEST Katari Kumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> our 3rd party CI (IBM Storage CI, based on zuul v2) uses devstack-gate
> scripts to install openstack via devstack and run tempest suite on the
> storage.
> It works with wallaby but fails on latest master as the devstack project
> dropped bionic support.
> We are currently trying to use ubuntu focal, but facing issues in devstack
> gate script.
> I understand that all 3rdparty drivers should migrate to Zuul v3 to avoid
> such issues. As devstack-gate is not used in Zuul V3 , i see no activity in
> devstack-gate to support latest versions.
> But as there are many existing Zuul v2 users,  devstack-gate should continue
> to support latest projects.

This has been communicated several times: devstack-gate should have been
dropped in ussuri already according the original plan. The plan was delayed a
bit because we had a few relevant legacy jobs around, but the last bits have
been merged recently and there are no further plans to support devstack-gate
for xena.

On your specific issue: I think we had a few focal-based legacy jobs in
victoria before dropping them, so you may probably tune the jobs to work with
devstack-gate. But this won't work when Xena is branched.

So please prioritize the migration to Zuul v3, rather than trying to patch an
unsupported software stack. During last PTG, in the Cinder session a 3rd party
CI shared their experience with the migration using Software Factory as Zuul
distribution, you can find the recording here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVLpPBldn7g&t=426

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/
CinderXenaPTGSummary#Using_Software_Factory_for_Cinder_Third_Party_CI

--
Luigi