[tc] Moving IRC meetings to project channels

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 3 23:09:46 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-03 17:29:36 -0500 (-0500), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> Idea behind this is to avoid confusion over which channel has
> which project meeting. There are multiple meeting channel
> #openstack-meeting-3, #openstack-meeting-4, #openstack-meeting-5,
> #openstack-meeting-alt, #openstack-meeting and sometime it is
> difficult to remember which channel has which project meeting
> until you go and check the project doc/wiki page or so.
>
> Having meeting in channel itself avoid such confusion. We have
> been doing this for QA, TC since many year and it work perfectly.
[...]

The idea behind having meetings in common channels is that it
reduces the number of channels people need to join if they just want
to lurk the team meetings but not necessarily be in the team
channels, it avoids people distracting the meeting with unrelated
in-channel banter or noise from notification bots about things like
change uploads to Gerrit, and it slightly decreases the chances that
too many meetings get scheduled into the same timeslots.

I also participate in some projects which do it that way and some
which have their meetings in-channel. For the most part, meetings
for smaller teams without a lot of overlap with other projects and
low volumes of normal discussion in their channels seem to be happy
with in-channel meetings. Large teams with a bunch of tendrils to
and from other projects and lots of crosstalk in their channel tend
to prefer the option of a separate meeting channel.

Also there are no -4 and -5 meeting channels any longer, since at
least a year if not more; we're down to just the other three you
listed.
--
Jeremy Stanley