[nova] Proper way to regenerate request_specs of existing instances?

Patryk Jakuszew patryk.jakuszew at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:11:16 UTC 2021

Hi!

I have a Rocky deployment and I want to enable
AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter on it. There is one slight problem I'm
trying to solve in a proper way: fixing the request_specs of instances that
are already running.

After enabling the filter, I want to add necessary metadata keys to
flavors, but this won't be propagated into request_specs of running
instances, and this will cause issues later on (like scheduler selecting
wrong destination hosts for migration, for example)

Few years ago I encountered a similar problem on Mitaka: that deployment
already had the filter enabled, but some flavors were misconfigured and
lacked the metadata keys. I ended up writing a crude Python script which
connected directly into the Nova database, searched for bad request_specs
and manually appended the necessary extra_specs keys into request_specs
JSON blob.

Now, my question is: has anyone encountered a similar scenario before? Is
there a more clean method for regeneration of instance request_specs, or do
I have to modify the JSON blobs manually by writing directly into the
database?

--
Regards,
Patryk Jakuszew