[nova] Early migrate error - pain point?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Jul 28 17:34:41 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-07-28 at 16:50 +0000, DHilsbos at performair.com wrote:
> Sean;
>
> This is Victoria.  I was trying to migrate from a CentOS 8 (libvirt 6.6.0) to a Ubuntu 20.04 (libvirt 6.0.0).
>
> I may not have any logs from it, as I've wiped out the host OS, and installed 20.10, with a side-track into 21.04.
ok so in that case live migration should be blocked by the check i linked in the code since you are going form libvirt 6.6.0 to 6.0.0
its possibel that that puts the vm in the error state but it really should just fail the migration and leave it in active.

i tested goign form centos 8 to centos 7 recnently and confirm the isntance remained in active and the migration failed due to the hypervior veriosn.
its possibel that since centos and ubunutu sotre libvirt and qemu in different locaiton it fails in a slightly different way that we dont handel properly

if you have time to reproduce it that woudl be great if not i might see if i can replicate your case but im not sure when ill have time to do that.

cold migration should work in this case by the way if its blocking your move to ubuntu. i dont belvie we are as stict in that case in terms of not migrating to
and older hypervior version. with live migration it can break in hard to fix ways so its blocked.
you could possibley get a newer version of libvirt form the ubuntu cloud arcive too althogh i have not checked.