[nova] Improvements in migration tracking via API

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 16:36:43 UTC 2021

Dears,

In Masakari we have a spec [0] to track the issued evacuations.
It could greatly use having more insight into the migrations details
that Nova saves in its database.
It seems there are two issues here.
One is quite cosmetic one, in that Nova API does not allow getting
migrations by UUID but just ID [1] (while UUIDs seem to be called the
future and the internal objects support them as well).
I think this one can be easily tackled by making that endpoint [1]
more flexible.
The other issue is a more complex one, but still not introducing a
great deal of change to Nova, and it is that the Nova API returns
neither migration ID nor UUID when asked to evacuate an instance [2]
(to be more general, it does not do it for migrations and live
migrations either). It seems, otherwise, we would have to call the
listing API [3] and find the latest entry there but this is possibly
error-prone and wasting resources.

[0] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/masakari-specs/+/789432
[1] https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=show-migration-details-detail#show-migration-details
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=evacuate-server-evacuate-action-detail#evacuate-server-evacuate-action-detail