Need information

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 18:05:28 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-07-22 at 22:26 +0530, Gk Gk wrote:
> So, if I have a provider vlan network managed by neutron, tenant isolation
> and overlapping ips are not possible in this case ?

we shoudl not use the term vlan provider network as that is really conflatign 2 concepts
there are vlan tenatn networks, which when you create as an admin you can also specify the physical network and vlan
on which it will resided. and there are admin created networks which is just a tenant network where
the admin choose the vlan id manually instead of leaving neutron select the next avaiabel vlan.
so vlan network whetere created by the admin or a normal thenant support both isolation and overlap.

there is a seperate concept of provider networking which can compires eight l2 networks or l3 routed networks
where dhcp and routing is provided by non nueton managed element in your data center.

if you created the vlan network via neutrons api and you are usign neutron to provide l3 routers and you are not neither bridging the vlans manulaly in your network switchs or
violating the phsynet rules then vlan networks support isolation and ip over lap.

the docs always get this wrong even upstream since they imply it the fact that create an network as an admin is what makes it a provider network.
that is not the case. its only a provider network if the conectivity to, from and betwen the networks is manged in your infrastucrure not in within neutrion.