[devstack][neutron][manila] Instances having trouble getting to external network with OVN

Goutham Pacha Ravi gouthampravi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 19:07:33 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 2:21 PM Carlos Silva <ces.eduardo98 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> NetApp CI has been facing the same problem.

Thank you Carlos!

> Here is a local.conf we have been using in our CI:
> https://paste.openstack.org/show/807484/
> The tests had basically same output described by Goutham:
> https://paste.openstack.org/show/807486/
>
> I have also tried this in a development environment in our lab but the
> same issue is occurring.
>

> Em ter., 13 de jul. de 2021 às 18:20, Goutham Pacha Ravi <
> gouthampravi at gmail.com> escreveu:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some third party storage CI running against manila repos has had issues
>> setting up VMs and providing access to external resources in devstack;
>> these issues started around the time that the default ml2 plugin was
>> switched to OVN. Folks in the manila team aren't familiar with devstack/CI
>> networking to determine how to resolve these; and we'd totally appreciate
>> help from networking experts in this regard.
>>
>> A sample local.conf file used by the CI is here:
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/807449/
>>
>> Manila's tests:
>>     - create a private tenant network
>>     - setup a router that connects the private network to the public
>> network
>>     - create a nova VM on the private tenant network
>>     - attempt to mount a share via NFS from within this VM
>>
>> The final step fails because the NFS mount command times out within the
>> test VM:
>>
>> tempest.lib.exceptions.SSHExecCommandFailed: Command 'sudo mount -vt nfs
>> "10.16.xx.xx:/share-96ae8d0c-8bab-4fcd-b278-51a6f473e03c-manila" /mnt',
>> exit status: 32, stderr:
>> mount.nfs: mount(2): Connection timed out
>> mount.nfs: Connection timed out
>>

>> stdout:
>> mount.nfs: timeout set for Mon Jun 28 14:47:19 2021
>> mount.nfs: trying text-based options
>> 'vers=4.2,addr=10.16.xx.xx,clientaddr=10.1.0.26'
>>

>> The timeout seems to be because the VM is unable to reach the NFS server
>> that's external to the devstack host. The NFS server is reachable from the
>> devstack host.
>>
>> Have there been any changes to devstack configuration that we need to be
>> aware of, wrt VMs having access to the external network?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Goutham

Ping Neutron developers,

Can you help vet this devstack issue; folks in the manila third party CI
community will be happy to share further logs or details.
As an example, failure logs on a third party CI job are here:
http://openstack-logs.purestorage.com/84/789384/25/thirdparty-check/pure-devstack-manila-tempest-aio/6965033/
<http://openstack-logs.purestorage.com/84/789384/25/thirdparty-check/pure-devstack-manila-tempest-aio/6965033/>