[kolla][glance][cinder] issues with show_image_direct_url and show_multiple_locations in wallaby

J-P Methot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Wed Jul 21 18:58:25 UTC 2021

Hi,

As you might already know if you read this mailing list, I've been
trying to push Kolla into production for a while. This issue however
might be more Glance and Cinder related than Kolla. We're trying to
provision an Openstack Wallaby cluster on Ubuntu using Kolla and Ceph
pacific. The issue I now have is that, if I try to provision a Ceph
volume from an image stored in Ceph, I get the following error :

https://pastebin.com/59EZbxKu

By looking around a bit, I figured out that this is linked to the
following mailing list email :

https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg66016.html

Ceph copy on write cloning breaking because Cinder can't work
ifshow_image_direct_url is set to true is a pretty big issue, I believe.
It's possible that this has been talked about before, but there's no
other trace I could find outside of that Ceph mailing list email.

Additionally, in Kolla, setting show_image_direct_url to false doesn't
solve this issue because by default, Kolla appears to also set
show_multiple_locations to true. By setting show_multiple_locations to
false through a custom configuration, I am able to create volumes from
glance Ceph images again (images have to be re-uploaded for this to work
though). Of course, these volumes are not created through copy-on-write,
because that's broken.

I couldn't find any bug report pertaining to these issues. If they are
not known, then I would be happy to make a bug report. I would just like
to verify if this is all already known or not.

--
Jean-Philippe Méthot
Senior Openstack system administrator