[dev][infra][tact-sig] Dropping debian-stretch images from OpenDev

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jul 20 20:23:22 UTC 2021

Due to storage pressure in a variety of our subsystems (node images,
caches, package mirrors) we're looking at under-utilized aging
platforms with an eye for cleaning those up to free some space and
reduce our management overhead. High on that list are our
debian-stretch nodes and associated mirroring.

Stretch was released over four years ago, and became effectively
obsolete when Buster was released two years ago. It reached normal
EOL one year ago and has limited LTS for only another eleven months.
We've had newer debian-buster images available in OpenDev for a
couple of years already, and more recently debian-bullseye which is
due to be officially released soon.

Almost nothing uses the debian-stretch label in master branch
configs according to codesearch, though I expect some projects are
still relying on it to perform tests on a few of their older stable
branches. They may also be relying on the inappropriately-named
"debian-stable" nodeset which is based on debian-stretch, though
again I see a very low incidence of it in master branches at least.
If we were to drop our debian-stretch nodes and debian-stable
nodeset definition, how much of an impact would it be on projects?
Would a few weeks be enough time for those affected to prepare, or
should we be thinking more on the order of months?
--
Jeremy Stanley