[kolla] Clean shutdown for guest VMs when host shutdown

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Thu Jul 8 21:19:48 UTC 2021

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 at 21:47, J-P Methot <jp.methot at planethoster.info> wrote:

> On 7/8/21 2:31 PM, Sean Mooney wrote:
> > the script and systemd service file need to be installed on the host
> outside the containers really for it to work
> > so i would not expect it to be in the contianer it self.
>
> The systemd script does call another script in the container. Here, lets
> look at this snippet from the systemd script at
>
> https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/master/tools/kolla-libvirt-guests.service
> :
>
> ExecStart=-/usr/bin/docker exec nova_libvirt /bin/rm -f
> /var/lib/libvirt/libvirt-guests
> ExecStart=-/usr/bin/docker start nova_compute
> ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker stop nova_compute
>
> ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker exec nova_libvirt /bin/sh -x
> /usr/libexec/libvirt-guests.sh shutdown
>
> It looks like it removes the libvirt-guests regular script if it's
> present when it starts and starts a different script with the shutdown
> argument when it stops. This second script is the one missing from my
> installed container image, hence why I am confused.

The /usr/libexec/libvirt-guests.sh script is available on CentOS images, at
least those that I checked: train (centos7) and ussuri (centos8). However,
in Ubuntu the script lives at /usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt-guests.sh in both
bionic [1] and focal [2]. It is possible that this has simply never been
tested on Ubuntu.

[1] https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/libvirt-daemon/filelist
[2] https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64/libvirt-daemon/filelist