[neutron] IPv6 advertisement support for BGP neutron-dynamic-routing

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jul 5 10:34:47 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-07-03 at 09:02 +0200, Jens Harbott wrote:
> On 7/2/21 8:24 AM, Manu B wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> > This is a doubt regarding existing IPv6 advertisement support for
> > BGP in
> > the current n-d-r repo.
> >
> > From the documentation, it is mentioned that to enable advertising
> > IPv6
> > prefixes,
> >
> > create an address scope with ip_version=6 and a BGP speaker with
> > ip_version=6.
> >

> > We have a use case where v4 and v6 routes must be advertised using
> > single v4 peer.
> >
> >  1. How can we advertise both v4 and v6 routes using single v4
> > peer?
> >
> > Do we have to create 2 BGP speakers ( one for v4 and another for
> > v6)
> >
> > Then create a single BGP v4 peer and add the same peer to both the
> > speakers?
> >
> > Is this the correct approach or any other way?
>
> MP-BGP support has been added with
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron-dynamic-routing/+/608302
> ,
> I never tested that myself, but from the release note it would seem
> that
> you configure only one speaker and one peer and then by setting
> proper
> configuration options on the peer it gets announced both v4 and v6
> prefixes.
you can advertiese ipv6 over ipv4 yes that is what i was doing
but you still need to agents since you assocate the speaker instance
with an allocation pool/subnet pools  which containers only one version
of ip adresses as a result i dont thing you can have a singel speaker
advertise both ipv4 and ipv6 but either address space can be advertised
over a ipv4 perring session.