[dev][cinder][keystone] Properly consuming system-scope in cinder

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jan 29 18:43:57 UTC 2021

 ---- On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 11:23:47 -0600 Gorka Eguileor <geguileo at redhat.com> wrote ----
> [...]
 > > on keystone. The third also used DDT, but included changes to update
 > > NoAuthMiddleware so that it wasn't as opinionated about authentication or
 > > authorization. I brought each approach in the cinder meeting this week
 > > where we discussed a fourth approach, doing everything in tempest. I
 > > summarized all of this in an etherpad [1]
 > >
 > > Up to yesterday morning, the only approach I hadn't tinkered with manually
 > > was tempest. I spent some time today figuring that out, resulting in a
 > > patch to cinderlib [2] to enable a protection test job, and
 > > cinder_tempest_plugin [3] that adds the plumbing and some example tests.
 > >
 > > In the process of implementing support for tempest testing, I noticed that
 > > service catalogs for system-scoped tokens don't contain cinder endpoints
 > > [4]. This is because the cinder endpoint contains endpoint templating in
 > > the URL [5], which keystone will substitute with the project ID of the
 > > token, if and only if the catalog is built for a project-scoped token.
 > > System and domain-scoped tokens do not have a reasonable project ID to use
 > > in this case, so the templating is skipped, resulting in a cinder service
 > > in the catalog without endpoints [6].
 > >
 > > This cascades in the client, specifically tempest's volume client, because
 > > it can't find a suitable endpoint for request to the volume service [7].
 > >
 > > Initially, my testing approaches were to provide examples for cinder
 > > developers to assess the viability of each approach before committing to a
 > > protection testing strategy. But, the tempest approach highlighted a larger
 > > issue for how we integrate system-scope support into cinder because of the
 > > assumption there will always be a project ID in the path (for the majority
 > > of the cinder API). I can think of two ways to approach the problem, but
 > > I'm hoping others have more.
 > >

 > Hi Lance,
 >
 > Sorry to hear that the Cinder is giving you such trouble.
 >
 > > First, we remove project IDs from cinder's API path.
 > >
 > > This would be similar to how nova (and I assume other services) moved away
 > > from project-specific URLs (e.g., /v3/%{project_id}s/volumes would become
 > > /v3/volumes). This would obviously require refactoring to remove any
 > > assumptions cinder has about project IDs being supplied on the request
 > > path. But, this would force all authorization information to come from the
 > > context object. Once a deployer removes the endpoint URL templating, the
 > > endpoints will populate in the cinder entry of the service catalog. Brian's
 > > been helping me understand this and we're unsure if this is something we
 > > could even do with a microversion. I think nova did it moving from /v2/ to
 > > /v2.0/, which was technically classified as a major bump? This feels like a
 > > moon shot.
 > >

 > In my opinion such a change should not be treated as a microversion and
 > would require us to go into v4, which is not something that is feasible

We can do it by supporting both URL with and without project_id. Nova did the same way
in Mitaka cycle and also bumped the microversion but just for notification. It was done
in 2.18 microversion[1].

That way you can request compute API with or without project_id and later is recommended.
I think the same approach Cinder can consider.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/api-microversion-history.html#id16

-gmann