[simplification] Making ask.openstack.org read-only

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jan 28 11:35:25 UTC 2021

Eugen Block wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question regarding read-only ask.openstack.org.
> I understand the decision to make it read-only but one thing still
> bothers me since I look up problems from time to time. And I noticed
> that you can't expand all comments if there were more than a few. Users
> were able to expand by clicking "see more comments" but that's not
> possible anymore. Is there any way to make the whole page visible, maybe
> remove that button and kind of "auto-expand" all comments? Some of the
> comments might have valuable information.

Hi Eugen,

I fear that ask is not giving us that much control on what's enabled and
disabled in "read-only mode". I see there is still pagination to access
later answers... Would you have an example of a question with the "see
more comments" behavior ?

More generally, note that we'll hit a dead-end in April when the ask
server LTS distribution will cease to be supported, and we have nobody
in the community with time to work on porting the ask setup to more
recent distributions... So the plan is to turn it off.

At that point ask.openstack.org content will be lost, unless we somehow
make a static copy somewhere. The Internet archive has copies of
ask.openstack.org but they do not seem to run very deep. If anyone has
ideas on how we could preserve that content without spending too many
cycles on it, please share :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)