[ironic] On redfish-virtual-media vs idrac-redfish-virtual-media

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:44:26 UTC 2021

So, un-written and always situational flexible.

When we all started down the path of creating ironic so many years ago.

Wow I suddenly feel old.

Anyway, back then we were a bit naive to think every vendor properly
and consistently implemented vendor hardware behavior and interfaces
the same way. Reality has been kind of far from it and vendors really
don't like changing BMC code to become compliant to standard after the
fact. I think the right thing is trying to provide guard rails to
continue to do the right thing for the user since vendors are
generally getting mostly compliant, the rest is fairly easy to handle
if we know what... and how to handle these things.

So overall, I think it is perfectly acceptable to have some
conditional code in generic drivers... especially of advanced
features, to go "oh, we need this $thing slightly differently" or "Oh,
This driver is completely wrong, lets fix it for them magically"

So implementation details aside (as it is the implementer's
prerogative on the initial design) , I'm good and agree with the
general ideas. Hope that makes sense.