[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jan 20 22:52:38 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-20 11:13:39 +0000 (+0000), Stephen Finucane wrote:
[...]
> I also wouldn't be opposed to dropping l-c on *stable* branches so
> long as we maintained for master, on the basis that they were
> already broken so nothing is really changing.
[...]

The main proposal was for dropping them from stable branches of most
projects due to the complexities of cascading dependencies between
stable point releases of interdependent projects with essentially
frozen requirements. I also think we should be okay if some teams
don't feel they have time to fix or maintain master branch testing
of lower bounds.

> Sticking to older, admittedly broken versions of pip for stable
> branches is another option and might help us avoid a deluge of
> "remove/fix l-c" patches for stable branches, but I don't know how
> practical that is?
[...]

Most of our testing is wrapped by tox, and the version of pip used
depends on what's vendored into the version of virtualenv
automatically pulled in by tox. In short, tox wants to use the
latest available virtualenv (and thus also pip, setuptools,
wheel...). Controlling this is doable, but nontrivial and a bit
fragile.
--
Jeremy Stanley