[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jan 19 15:32:02 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-19 08:03:25 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> Of course, I'm using upper-constraints too, to try to package them
> as much as possible, however, the dependencies are expressed
> according to lower-constraints.
[...]

The same lower bounds would also typically be expressed in the
requirements.txt file. Presumably you looked there before projects
added lower-constraints.txt files? Noting that lower bounds testing
isn't feasible and the jobs we were running weren't actually
correctly testing minimum versions of everything, these have always
been a "best effort" assertion anyway.

I gather you run Tempest tests against your OpenStack packages on
Debian already, so if a dependency there is too low you'll find out
and can let the project maintainers know that their minimum version
for that in requirements.txt isn't correct. Hopefully that doesn't
come up very often, but for things we can't realistically test,
getting notified by downstream distributors and users is the best
feedback mechanism we can hope for.
--
Jeremy Stanley