[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Jan 18 18:23:11 UTC 2021

 ---- On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:04:34 -0600 Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote ----
 > Hi,
 >
 > On 1/6/21 6:59 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > > Hello Everyone,
 > >
 > > You might have seen the discussion around dropping the lower constraints
 > > testing as it becomes more challenging than the current value of doing it.
 >
 > As a downstream distribution package maintainer, I see this as a major
 > regression of the code quality that upstream is shipping. Without l-c
 > tests, there's no assurance of the reality of a lower-bound dependency.
 >
 > So then we're back to 5 years ago, when OpenStack just artificially was
 > setting very high lower bound because we just didn't know...

Hi Zigo,

We discussed the usage of l-c file among different packagers in 14th Jan TC meeting[1],

can you confirm if Debian directly depends on l-c file and use them OR it is good for
code quality if project maintains it?

Below packagers does not use l-c file instead use u-c
- RDO
- openstack-charms
- ubuntu

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2021/tc.2021-01-14-15.00.log.html#l-105