[TripleO] moving stable/rocky for tripleo repos to unmaintained (+ then EOL) OK?

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 09:21:43 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:01 PM Herve Beraud <hberaud at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for my late reply, and thanks for the heads up.
>
> Can't we move directly to EOL [1]?
> I don't see reason to keep an unmaintained repo open, and if the repos
> remain open and patches merged then it's not really unmaintained repos.
>
> The goal of the extended maintenance was to offer more chances to
> downstream maintainers to get/share patches and fixes, if you decide to not
> maintain them anymore then I would suggest you to move to "EOL" directly,
> it would be less misleading.
>
> Notice that if you move rocky to eol all the corresponding branches will
> be dropped in your repos.
>
> Also notice that last week we proposed a new kind of tag (<series>-last)
> [2][3] for Tempest's needs, but because tempest is branchless...
>
> Maybe we could extend this notion (-last) to allow the project to reflect
> the last step...
> It could reflect that it will be your last release, and that the project
> is near from the end.
>
> But if you don't plan to merge patches, or if you don't have patches to
> merge anymore, then I would really suggest to you to move directly to EOL,
> else it means that you're not really "unmaintained".

OK thanks very much Herve as always for your time and thoughts here. I am
not against the EOL I just thought it was more of a requirement to declare
it 'unmaintained' first. The advantage is it is a softer path to completely
closing it off for any future submissions. Possibly the '-last' tag fits
this need but if I have understood correctly it might need some adjustment
to the definition of that tag ('we could extend this notion') and honestly
I don't know if it is necessary. More likely straight to EOL is what we
want here.

I will bring this up again in tomorrow's tripleo irc meeting
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2021-January/019859.html
and point to this thread. Let's see what other opinions there are around
EOL vs -last for stable/rocky

thank you, marios