[heat][tripleo] os-apply-config os-refresh-config os-collect-config project governance

Rabi Mishra ramishra at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 14:32:00 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 6:58 PM James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 7:47 AM Marios Andreou <marios at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Heat team o/
>>
>> as discussed in the thread at [1] TripleO is no longer using
>> os-collect-config, os-refresh-config and os-apply-config as part of the
>> OpenStack deployment. As such we are considering moving these repos to the
>> independent release model.
>>
>> However as pointed out in [1] it seems that Heat is still using these -
>> documented at [2]. Is the Heat community interested in taking over the
>> ownership of these? To be clear what the proposal here is, I posted [3] -
>> i.e. move these projects under the Heat governance.
>>
>> Thanks for your time, thoughts and comments on this, either here or in
>> [3]. If you are NOT interested in owning these then we will likely move
>> them to independent, or possibly even unmaintained/eol (in due course).
>>

> I realized a possible wrinkle with moving these to Heat governance.
> TripleO still relies on the stable/train branches given these projects are
> still used in train, and there exists a possibility that TripleO cores may
> need to backport patch(es) to the train branch in these projects.

I thought we switched to config-download by default from stable/rocky and
disabled os-collect-config[1]. Not sure if anyone uses it beyond that with
TripleO. Looking at the number of functional changes backported to
stable/queens (AFICS only 3 of them)[2], probably it won't be a major
bottleneck, assuming the heat community wants to own it.

[1]
https://review.opendev.org/plugins/gitiles/openstack/tripleo-puppet-elements/+/eaebed2ab92c65a1dce55a1d1945bdc47c1e5022
[2] https://bit.ly/3qeTqX2

--