[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 7 17:22:24 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-07 17:55:44 +0100 (+0100), Radosław Piliszek wrote:
[...]
> This is also why we can't really have a smart-enough solver trying to
> minimize dep versions as some have no bounds on either side. What
> would the verdict then be? If it was to install the oldest version
> ever, I bet it would fail most of the time.

Yes, I expect that too would require some manual tweaking to find
appropriate versions to override with, however that wouldn't need to
be redone nearly as often as what you end up with when you're
fighting tools which always want to install the most recent
available version.

> For me, lower constraints are well too complicated to really get
> right, and, moreover, checking only unit tests with them is likely not
> useful enough to warrant that they result in working deployments.
[...]

This I agree with. I think lower bounds checking is theoretically
possible with appropriate tools (which don't currently exist), but
would still involve filling in yourself for the authors of less
rigorously maintained projects in your transitive dependency set.
More generally, basically nothing in the Python packaging ecosystem
is designed with the idea of supporting a solution to this, and
there's very little to encourage a project to even list much less
keep up minimum versions of dependencies, except in order to force
an upgrade.
--
Jeremy Stanley