[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 7 16:34:21 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-07 10:15:59 +0000 (+0000), Stephen Finucane wrote:
[...]
> Out of curiosity, would limiting the list in lower-constraints to
> the set of requirements listed in 'requirements.txt' help matters?
> That would at least ensure the lower version of our explicit
> dependencies worked. The main issue I could see with this is
> potentially a lot of thrashing from pip as it attempts to find
> versions of implicit dependencies that satisfy the various
> constraints, but I guess we'll have to address that when we come
> to it.

You can try it locally easily enough, but my recollections from
before is that what you'll find for larger projects is old releases
of some dependencies don't pin upper bounds of their own
dependencies and wind up not being usable because they drag in
something newer than they can actually use, so it'll be an iterative
effort to figure those out. Which has essentially been my problem
with that lower bounds testing model, it's a manual effort to figure
out what versions of modules in the transitive set will actually be
compatible with one another, and then you basically get to redo that
work any time you want to adjust a lower bound for something.

But do give it a shot and let us know if it winds up being easier
than all that.
--
Jeremy Stanley