Neutron DVR Public IP usage

Arnaud Morin arnaud.morin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 12:06:48 UTC 2021

Hello,

What we do on our side is that we create a subnet with specific
service_type on our public network.
That way, neutron will take an IP from this pool instead of the "public"
pool.

Extract from a script that I use:

# Add a private subnet in this public network
# The service-type network:floatingip_agent_gateway
# will let IPAM give IP from this subnet for FIP namespaces
# This is used to reduce number of public IP on neutron DVR
# Note that we still need to set a valid next-hop gateway
# ($GATEWAY here)
openstack subnet create \
 --network public \
 --subnet-range 172.31.0.0/17 \
 --gateway $GATEWAY \
 --no-dhcp \
 --service-type 'network:floatingip_agent_gateway' \
 _internal_fip_subnet

Hope it helps.

cheers,

--