[puppet-openstack] stop using the ${pyvers} variable

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Feb 28 11:18:43 UTC 2021

On 2/28/21 12:10 PM, Takashi Kajinami wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 3:32 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org
> <mailto:zigo at debian.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 2/27/21 3:52 PM, Takashi Kajinami wrote:
>     > I have posted a comment on the said patch but I prefer using pyvers in
>     > that specific patch because;
>     >  - The change seems to be a backport candidate and using pyvers
>     helps us
>     > backport the change
>     >    to older branches like Train which still supports python 2 IIRC.
>
>     Even Rocky is already using python3 in Debian/Ubuntu. The last distro
>     using the Python 2 version would be Stretch (which is long EOLed) and
>     Bionic (at this time, people should be moving to Focal, no ?, which IMO
>     are not targets for backports.
>
>     Therefore, for this specific patch, even if you want to do a backport,
>     it doesn't make sense.
>
>     Are you planning to do such a backport for the RPM world?
>
> We still have queens open for puppet-openstack modules.
> IIRC rdo rocky is based on CentOS7 and Python2.
> Also, I don't really like to see inconsistent implementation caused by
> backport
> knowing that we don't support python3 in these branches.
> Anyway we can consider that when we actually backport the change.

I'm a bit surprised that you still care about such an old release as
Queens. Is this the release shipped with CentOS 7?

In any ways, thanks for letting me know, I have to admit I don't know
much about the RPM side of things.

In such case, I'm ok to keep the ${pyvers} variable for the CentOS case
for a bit longer then, but can we agree when we stop using it? Also IMO,
forcing it for Debian/Ubuntu doesn't make sense anymore.

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)