[PTLs][release] Wallaby Cycle Highlights

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:59:25 UTC 2021

Hello Everyone!

It's time to start thinking about calling out 'cycle-highlights' in your
deliverables! I have no idea how we are here AGAIN ALREADY, alas, here we
be.

As PTLs, you probably get many pings towards the end of every release cycle by
various parties (marketing, management, journalists, etc) asking for
highlights of what is new and what significant changes are coming in the
new release. By putting them all in the same place it makes them easy to
reference because they get compiled into a pretty website like this from
the last few releases: Stein[1], Train[2].

We don't need a fully fledged marketing message, just a few highlights (3-4
ideally), from each project team. Looking through your release notes might
be a good place to start.

*The deadline for cycle highlights is the end of the R-5 week [3] (next
week) on March 12th.*

How To Reminder:
-------------------------

Simply add them to the deliverables/$RELEASE/$PROJECT.yaml in the
openstack/releases repo like this:

   cycle-highlights:
     - Introduced new service to use unused host to mine bitcoin.

The formatting options for this tag are the same as what you are probably
used to with Reno release notes.

Also, you can check on the formatting of the output by either running
locally:

   tox -e docs

And then checking the resulting doc/build/html/$RELEASE/highlights.html
file or the output of the build-openstack-sphinx-docs job under
html/$RELEASE/highlights.html.

Feel free to add me as a reviewer on your patches.

Can't wait to see you all have accomplished this release!

Thanks :)

-Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)

[1] https://releases.openstack.org/stein/highlights.html
[2] https://releases.openstack.org/train/highlights.html