[heat] [kolla] Stack creation fails

Braden, Albert C-Albert.Braden at charter.com
Wed Feb 24 18:13:00 UTC 2021

I'm using a heat template to try and build an Openstack cluster on VMs and it is failing in 2 different ways. It starts out fine for both:

(openstack) [abraden at chrnc-dev-os-build-01 kolla_multinode]$ os stack create -t kolla_multinode.yaml upgrade-stack
+---------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Field               | Value                                                                                  |
+---------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| id                  | 7b4a49d2-0418-453a-abde-5e510b588b71                                                   |
| stack_name          | upgrade-stack                                                                          |
| description         | Deploy virtualized multi-node OpenStack and Ceph using kolla-ansible and ceph-ansible. |
|                     |                                                                                        |
| creation_time       | 2021-02-23T21:17:02Z                                                                   |
| updated_time        | None                                                                                   |
| stack_status        | CREATE_IN_PROGRESS                                                                     |
| stack_status_reason | Stack CREATE started                                                                   |

Sometimes it stays in CREATE_IN_PROGRESS status for a long time, and when I look at volumes I see one or more volumes stuck in "creating" status [1]. If I set the stuck volumes to "error" status then heat retries and the cluster builds successfully.

Other times the keypair fails. First it goes to DELETE_COMPLETE status and then to CREATE_FAILED [2], and the the stack goes to CREATE_FAILED status. When this happens no volumes are created, and I haven't found a workaround for this failure.

Where should I be looking for the issue? Nothing in the log is jumping out at me. RMQ and keystone seem fine. Searching for the id of the failed stack or the stuck volume in /var/log/kolla/* doesn't find any errors or warnings.

[1] volumes<https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/ZBhn7TQ2Hv/>
[2] failed key<https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/gGwDRyT2Nd/>

I apologize for the nonsense below. I have not been able to stop it from being attached to my external emails.

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.