[all][tc] Dropping lower-constraints testing from all projects

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 19 19:13:07 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-19 12:43:47 -0600 (-0600), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> As per the checks in TC meeting and ML discussion, it was found
> that only Debian checks lower-constraints and rest all packagers
> use upper constraints[1]
>
> Are you suggesting making the latest Milestone 3 as a base for
> lower constraints and in future, keep them as long as they work
> fine or every cycle you will update them to the latest release
> (which is nothing but the upper-constraints right?)?
[...]

Debian is somewhat unique among the distributions providing
OpenStack packages due to:

1. they carry packages for a vast amount of software (nearly 100K
   packages lined up for the next release) so lots of opportunities
   for version conflicts

2. they attempt when possible to only carry one version of any given
   software project in order to minimize their maintenance and
   security burden

3. they include OpenStack and its dependencies directly in the main
   distribution rather than in a side repository like UCA or RDO

4. they insist that all software within the distribution should be
   co-installable

As such, the more information they can get about what versions of
dependencies we expect them to be able to use, the better able
they'll be to find compromises in dependency version conflicts
between OpenStack and unrelated software they also distribute.
--
Jeremy Stanley