[neutron][ovn] ipv6 in virtual networks

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Thu Feb 11 13:12:21 UTC 2021

Hey there,

On 11/02/2021 12:20, Piotr Misiak wrote:
>> So in order to use a globally-reachable IPv6 address you should use a
>> port from a provider network in the instance.
>>
> Thanks Brian for the prompt response.
>
> Does this mean that the only functional IPv6 scenario in Neutron/OVN is
> where VMs are directly connected to an IPv6 GUA provider network?

I ran into a similar question a while back:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-June/015682.html
But there I was wondering / discussing if requesting a prefix larger
than /64 was possible to allow using that routed prefix to host i.e. a
VPN solution.

Prefix delegation of GUA prefixes implemented in Neutron apparently:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/ipv6-prefix-delegation
And to me prefix delegation of a global unicast address prefix (GUA)
seems like the cleanest solution.

Regards

Christian