[ironic] [release] [kolla] RFC: stop doing Extended Maintenance for Bifrost

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 18:44:42 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:43 PM Radosław Piliszek <
radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:22 PM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since Bifrost is an installation project that supports several
> distributions, maintaining its stable branches is a never ending nightmare.
> We have *nearly* fixed Ussuri (thank you Riccardo!) and just started
> looking into Train (thank you Iury and Mark), I'm sure we cannot keep EM
> branches in a decent shape. Personally I feel that Bifrost is more geared
> towards consumers staying close to master, but my gut feeling may not
> necessarily match the reality.
> >
> > Based on the above, I'm proposing:
> > 1) EOL all old branches from Ocata to Stein on Bifrost.
> > 2) No longer create EM branches, EOL immediately after a branch leaves
> the regular maintenance.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> If it's not an overkill burden, I would suggest following Kolla's
> policy where we in fact keep one last EM branch alive in practice
> (older ones rot much too quickly).
> That would mean still caring about Stein until Train goes EM too.

I'm afraid it is an overkill burden. Please see above, we're struggling
even with normally supported branches.

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael