[stein][hypervisor] Post successful stein deployment Openstack hypervisor list is empty

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 14:13:27 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-02-05 at 14:53 +0530, roshan anvekar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Scenario: I have an installation of Openstack stein through kolla-ansible.
> The deployment went fine and all services look good.
>
> Although I am seeing that under Admin--> Compute --> Hypervisors panel in
> horizon, all the controller nodes are missing. It's a blank list.
did you actully deploy the nova compute agent service to them?

that view is showing the list of host that are running the nova compute service
typically that is not deployed to the contolers.

host in the contol group in the kolla multi node inventlry
https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/master/ansible/inventory/multinode#L3
are not use to run the compute agent by default
only nodes in the compute group are
https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/master/ansible/inventory/multinode#L18
the eception to that is ironic https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/master/ansible/inventory/multinode#L301-L302
which is deployed to the contolers.

the nova compute agent used for libvirt is deployed specificlly to the compute hosts via the  nova-cell role at least on master
https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/master/ansible/nova.yml#L118
this was done a little simpler before adding cell support but the inventory side has not changed in many release in this
regard.