[neutron] Routing fake "floating IPs" of VMs running inside VMs of an OpenStack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Dec 17 16:11:47 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-17 16:46:48 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> I'd like to setup the network for VMs inside the
> VMs. And that's where it becomes tricky. The VM that runs tempest will
> need to reach the floating IPs of the VMs inside the VMs that are
> running nova-compute, in order to do ssh tests. How can I do that? Is
> this even possible?
[...]

In the upstream CI system we do that with bridge interfaces on each
machine connected to layer 2 tunnels (using VXLAN, though GRE should
also work if the cloud you're running in supports it):
https://zuul-ci.org/docs/zuul-jobs/general-roles.html#role-multi-node-bridge

While the implementation is in Ansible, it's really just a pile of
shell commands you should be able to use to reproduce with just
about anything. You can find the multi-node-* roles in the roles
directory of the zuul-jobs repo: https://opendev.org/zuul/zuul-jobs

Hope that helps!
--
Jeremy Stanley