[all] testtools and support for Python 3.10 (error du to deprecation of distutils)

Andrey Kurilin andr.kurilin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 19:44:47 UTC 2021

Hi folks!

пн, 13 дек. 2021 г. в 18:53, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org>:

> On 2021-12-13 17:24:23 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > When I try to build rally-openstack, I get this, in the test discovery:
> [...]
> > /usr/lib/python3.10/distutils/__init__.py:19: in <module>
> >     warnings.warn(_DEPRECATION_MESSAGE,
> > E   DeprecationWarning: The distutils package is deprecated and slated
> > for removal in Python 3.12. Use setuptools or check PEP 632 for
> > potential alternatives
> [...]
> > Can someone work on removing distutils support from Testtools? Or is
> > there a way to trick pytest to not fail? Help would be greatly
> > appreciated here.
>
> PYTHONWARNINGS must be getting set to "error" somewhere. Are you
> setting it at invocation maybe?

It is set via tox.ini at
https://github.com/openstack/rally-openstack/blob/2.2.0/tox.ini#L122-L124
It is better to fix deprecated things earlier before they result in the
broken project :)

> In order to be able to run with
> dependencies that call distutils I currently do something like this:
>
>     PYTHONWARNINGS = error, ignore:The distutils package is
>         deprecated and slated for removal in Python 3.12. Use
>         setuptools or check PEP 632 for potential
>         alternatives:DeprecationWarning

I'm ok to ignore the warning from testtools since it doesn't require any
changes from our side.

All on one line of course. And yes, ideally someone should fix

--
Best regards,
Andrey Kurilin.