[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Jean-Philippe Evrard openstack at a.spamming.party
Fri Dec 10 16:29:42 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021, at 15:30, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Isn't that exactly what I did? You'll notice here and in my review I
> didn't say "use PBR," I outlined the properties desired instead.

This is exactly what you did, and what I like in your answer.
Everything you said, as wise as it is, isn't documented in the governance [1].
You have knowledge, and that knowledge on why certain things are done should be recorded for the future.
The more we share, the more people will be able to challenge it or understand it.

> That said, using a consistent implementation across as many projects
> as possible increases our familiarity and ability to address new
> issues with the fewest set of solutions.

Totally agree. I have so many points I want to raise. I realise asking what I have in mind will cause more trouble on this mailing list than the value it will bring. I just want the TC to think broader than the "we used to do it this way, and this is the only way". I am sure the topic raised some questions, and will give enough food for thoughts. Hence, I hope it will result in the improvement of OpenStack :)

> Just my opinion, but I think buying into container hype to the point
> where we make OpenStack only deployable through containerization
> would be a massive step backwards.

I didn't say it was a goal or if I consider this important.
I just wanted to mention that they are other ways to consume software than distribution packages.

Side note: I have spent to much time on this, so I will just step out now.
I hope the TC got enough details about what to make out of this in the future.
If you need an extra $0.02, you know where to find me :)

Regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)

[1]: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/new-projects-requirements.html