[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Jean-Philippe Evrard openstack at a.spamming.party
Fri Dec 10 08:16:59 UTC 2021

Hello,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021, at 01:18, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> Yes, those are the inconsistency we currently have in the Skyline
> project, but that is not what they will stick to. In Yoga PTG[1], the
> skyline team iterates through all these points and plans to
> improve those and be consistent with the other OpenStack projects. They
> said they will
> work on packaging, PTI, using Oslo code etc.
>
> Boxiang Zhu mentioned the same in the governance patch also[2].

The questions I have still stand: Do we need to be more lax in the governance to not _require_ to follow the PTI (and/or have an intention to follow through)? Can the TC make an exception? When is the deadline for projects not following our testing to become compliant? What is the risk if the newly accepted project is not doing it? Moving it to a non-official project? Is that worth the effort?

> If they deny moving Skyline towards the OpenStack way of packing,
> testing, using Oslo, etc., we should consider whether to reject the
> OpenStack official project or modify our new
> project application criteria. But this is not the case, and they agree
> to improve all those things.

I agree. Let's not talk hypothetics.

> Now we have more clear direction from them in the governance patch
> also, so I feel this is good
> to go as an official project, and while they will be in OpenStack, we
> all can help them to
> improve the things in OpenStack way.

Perfect, great news.

> Also, TC discussed in PTG the new concept of 'Tech pre-review' where we
> will monitor
> such new projects' health, contribution, and direction going in the
> direction of OpenStack way. This
>  'Tech pre-review'  is not up yet, so let's see how we define it.

I am sorry I have missed that from the notes I read.