[all][tc] Skyline as a new official project [was: What's happening in Technical Committee: summary 15th Oct, 21: Reading: 5 min]

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Dec 6 23:53:21 UTC 2021

 ---- On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:40:29 -0500 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
 > On 2021-10-23 00:06:02 +0200 (+0200), Thomas Goirand wrote:
 > [...]
 > > This is essentially bullshit: the replacement method proposed in this
 > > page is supposed to be "pip install", which does dependency resolving
 > > and download from the internet, which is not useful (and even forbidden
 > > at package build time) for downstream distributions.
 > >
 > > If using pip is the only thing that upstream Python people are proposing
 > > to distributions, without any distro-specific options (like the
 > > --install-layout=deb option of setuptools, for example), then something
 > > really wrong is going on.
 > >
 > > Unless I missed something and upstream Python likes us from now on?!?
 > [...]
 >
 > Their new answer to "how should we be building binary packages from
 > Python source distributions" is this (already packaged in Debian):
 >
 >     https://packages.debian.org/python3-build
 >
 > The idea is that a source distribution may have a variety of
 > different possible build backends per PEP 517, but as long as you
 > run `python3 -m build` (and the relevant build dependencies are made
 > available somehow) then it shouldn't matter. Calling directly into
 > setup.py is only going to work for projects which use Setuptools as
 > their build backend and provide a setup.py, of course, probably not
 > for any other build backend.
 >
 > > IMO skyline needs to conform with everything that's made elsewhere
 > > in OpenStack, and adopt the same standards.
 > [...]
 >
 > I agree, and I attempted to leave some detailed notes on
 > https://review.opendev.org/814037 highlighting the differences I
 > spotted, which I think they're going to want to address for
 > consistency with the rest of OpenStack.

Hello Skyline team,

We have not heard from you on the open questions (mentioned in
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/814037 too). It's been ~ 21 days
TC has voted -1 in Gerrit with required things to fix/or tell plan so that TC can merge the
new project application.

Please respond on the Gerrit to proceed next.

-gmann